You probably already know that plants need to be regularly cared for to stay healthy and happy. It’s easy for us as gardeners to keep up with this, but if you have a weed-filled yard or garden then keeping things green can be challenging. With so many new plants, animals, insects, and diseases coming into your yard from outside sources it can be hard to keep things in balance. And when you don’t have the time or knowledge about how to care for your plants properly it’s no wonder things start going wrong.
That’s where weeding comes in. Weeding is the process of removing weeds from an area of land by hand, either before they grow or once they start to become a nuisance. It may seem like an extra-stressful task at first but as you get into it and learn more about gardening it becomes easier and easier until it becomes second nature. Over time weeding will also free up space in your yard allowing other plants and flowers to take over which is always a bonus!
Why do you need to weed
The reason you need to weed is simple; to keep your garden healthy and clean. This is so important because a dirty garden is full of nasty bugs, insects, and diseases that can ruin your plants. Whereas a clean garden is full of healthy plants that produce more produce, flowers, and herbs. Even if you only have a small space in your yard you can still benefit from weeding.
If you find that your lawn or garden is getting overgrown then you can weed it out. Doing this can make your lawn or garden smaller and easier to care for. However, if you don’t weed then you risk your plants getting too dense, dying from not having enough space, and becoming full of too many pests. So, it’s important to know and understand the why and how of weeding.
What tools and equipment do you need
The tools and equipment you need for weeding are similar to the tools you use for weeding in the spring. You’ll need a pair of gardening gloves, a pair of pruners, a spade, and a rake. If you’re weeding a small area then you may find it easier to do so with a handheld weeding hoe.
How to weeding basics
There are many different methods you can use for weeding and it’s important to know which method is best suited to the type of wedding you’re doing.
- Hand Weeding – Hand weeding is the most common method used in weeding. It’s a simple process that involves using your hands to remove weeds from your plants. It’s important to wear gloves whenever you’re weeding with your hands as you don’t want any nasty bugs or diseases on your hands! Hand weeding is also the safest method of weeding as you don’t risk damaging your plants. It’s also the most time-consuming method of weeding.
- Weeding with a Hoe – If you find that hand weeding is too time-consuming or difficult then consider using a weeding hoe. A weeding hoe is similar to a tiller in a garden. It has a wide tine on one side and a spoon on the other side. You can use the time to pull out weeds, and the spoon to remove them from your soil. Weeding with a weeding hoe can be a faster and easier method of weeding. It’s important to note that you need to dig up the soil around the roots of your plants using a weeding hoe before you use it.
- Raking Weeding – The last method of weeding is to use a rake. It’s best to do this method of weeding when the soil is lightly damp and has some moisture.
Weeds you’ll most likely encounter when weeding
Many different types of weeds can appear in your garden and they can be hard to get rid of. Below you will find some of the most common weeds to look out for when weeding.
- All types of plants grow too quickly, such as wildflowers, nettles, thistles, and dandelions.
- Weeds grow in different patterns, such as creeping thistle and chickweed. You can use seaweed as a natural weed killer to kill these.
- Weeds that are hard to get rid of, such as bindweed and thistle. You can’t just pull these out of your garden because they have strong, woody roots that can grow deep into the soil.
- Weeds that are difficult to kill, like pigweed. You can’t just pull them out of your garden because they have seeds that can spread to another plant and grow into a new weed.
Ideas for using seaweed in your garden
All this talk about weeding is making you realise that things do need tidying up in your garden, which is why you’re now thinking about weeding, so you can consider using seaweed in your garden. Seaweed is a great natural way to kill off pesky weeds, while also helping to improve the health of your soil. You can add seaweed to your compost, or you can use it as a herbicide to control the growth of weeds. The good thing about seaweed is that it’s not harmful to humans or animals.
It’s been used in gardens for years and won’t harm your plants or soil. You can even sprinkle it over your lawn to help keep it cool and green. If you want to add some extra flavour to your veggie dishes, then you can steam some seaweed before use. This will infuse them with a subtle and salty flavour.
If you want to grow healthy food in your garden then you need to keep it clean and weed-free. That’s why you need to weed, and that can be challenging when you have a big yard or garden. Fortunately, weeding is easier than you think and you can do it without breaking a sweat. When you weeding, it’s important to use the right tools and equipment, follow a plan, and stay focused on your goal. You can do it! Now get out there and get weeding!