You probably love your garden. It’s safe, private, and serene. You can go there after work to relax or have a picnic with family and friends. Your garden also features an awesome fence, which helps you keep out unwelcome visitors as well as provides privacy for you and your guests. With so many benefits, it’s no surprise that more people are investing in their own little slice of paradise. However, when it comes to owning a fence, there are pros and cons. Let’s see why…
Pros of Owning a Fence
If you own a fence, there are plenty of reasons to be happy. A fence is essential for safety, privacy, and security. It also can add value to your home, which is great if you want to sell it one day. If you have a garden, a fence will help keep animals out. You’ll have fewer pests disturbing you and your family, meaning you can enjoy your garden more.
A fence will also keep children inside your garden in an age-appropriate way. If you live next to a road, you’ll also have noise reduction from the fence. This is especially helpful if you don’t have double-glazing on your windows, as it will help reduce the traffic noise and make life quieter inside your home.
Cons of Owning a Fence
A fence is a big investment, so it’s important to know about the downsides. If you’re thinking of buying a fence, here are some things to consider.
- Fences are expensive. If you want a decorative fence, it will cost even more. Even wooden fences, which are the cheapest, can be expensive. They also need some maintenance, which adds to the cost.
- The location of your fence can create an eyesore. If you put it in the wrong place, you can end up with an unsightly fence spoiling your view. It can also be a safety hazard if children can’t see cars coming.
- Fences can be difficult to maintain. Wood needs to be treated regularly to prevent rot. They also need to be painted or stained to protect against the elements.
- If you have a wooden fence, you need to keep it in good condition. Otherwise, it will rot and be dangerous to your family and the neighborhood.
Why You Should Repair Your Garden Fence Instead of Replacing It
Once you’ve evaluated all the pros and cons, you may be ready to make a decision. You might be ready to splash the cash on a beautiful new fence. However, before you do, consider this. You might be able to repair your fence instead of buying a completely new one.
You might even be able to do it yourself, saving even more money. It’s important to identify the problems first. A few common issues garden fences experience include rot, cracked bricks, denting posts and loose rails. If your fence has any of those issues, you can easily repair it.
Common Problems with Fences and How to Fix Them
- Rot – Rot is caused by water getting into your fence, rotting the wood and spreading. It’s easy to prevent by installing a good drainage system. If you’re already experiencing rot, you can repair it with a rot-resistant wood preservative.
- Cracked bricks – Bricks are meant to crack, so don’t sweat it. Cracks are a normal part of ageing. However, if the cracks are getting bigger, it means there’s an issue, such as a water leak. If that’s the case, seal the crack and repair the leak.
- Denting posts – Posts naturally get weaker as time goes on and are easily damaged by heavy tools. You can prevent that by using a post driver to hammer in the posts, which will reduce the impact. If you already have posts that are dented, you can repair them by cutting the post down and putting a new top on.
- Loose rails – Loose rails are often the result of bad construction and can be fixed easily. Both wooden and metal fences can suffer from loose rails. If they’re wooden, they’re probably just loose from being old. If they’re metal and loose, the fix is a little tougher, but still possible to do yourself.
Rot and Leaching
Garden fences made of wood can rot over time, especially if they are not properly maintained and they get a lot of rain or snow in winter. These fences are sometimes made with untreated wood which can lead to rotting. This rotting can be noticed by the presence of black streaks on the wood, a bad smell coming from the fence and wood that breaks easily.
You can prevent wood from rotting by painting it or treating it with chemicals. The best way to prevent wood from rotting is to use pressure treated wood. You can also make other types of wood last longer by treating them with chemicals or painting them with a special paint.
Holes from Climbing Plants
If you have a garden fence made from wood or metal, you may notice a lot of holes in it that were created by climbing plants. You can prevent this by planting climbing plants away from your fence so that they don’t damage it. You can also put netting on your fence to protect it from the plants.
If your fence already has holes in it, you can repair the damage using a fence patch. You can buy these at most home improvement stores. They come in many different colors so you can choose one that matches the color of your fence.
Unexpected Shocks from Electronic Fences
If you have an electric fence in your garden, you need to make sure to keep it in good condition. If the fence is not maintained regularly and the wires begin to wear down, they can start to give a shock to anyone who touches them. You can repair this problem easily by replacing the worn out wires with new ones.
You can also clean the fence regularly to prevent the buildup of dirt and grime that may prevent the fence from working properly. If the fence is built with wood or other materials that are easily damaged, you may want to consider replacing them with a sturdier material. You can also put plastic coating on the outside of the fence to protect it from damage.
Bent Rails from Mowing Activities
If you have a wooden fence with wooden rails, they may be damaged by heavy mowing activities in your garden. When the rails are damaged, they can become loose, so they need to be repaired. You can repair this damage by putting a screw or nail into the rail to make it secure again.
You may want to use a heavy-duty screw or nail to make sure that it stays in place. If the rails are loose and you can’t figure out how to repair them, you can replace them with new rails that are made from stronger wood. You can also put a protective coating on the rails to prevent them from becoming damaged again.
Your Fence is Broken by Vandals or Thieves
If you have a garden fence that is made from wood, someone may break in through the fence and steal things from your garden. You can prevent this by putting a lock on the gate that leads into your garden. You can also install a strong metal or wooden fence.
If someone breaks in through your fence, you can replace it by putting up a new fence made from stronger wood or metal. You can also add an alarm to your fence to make it harder for vandals and thieves to break in. You can buy a sensor that is attached to the fence. If someone touches the fence or breaks it, the sensor will sound an alarm.
Garden fences are an excellent addition to any home. They can create privacy, keep away pests, and even add value to your property. However, a garden fence needs to be maintained and repaired on a regular basis to prevent it from becoming a safety hazard.
When you discover a problem with your garden fence, there are many ways to repair it. Whether you choose to replace the rails, posts, or bricks, a garden fence can last a very long time with the right maintenance.